Name Game
Haley's latest game is to give everything a name. For example, she'll see a baby in a carriage and ask, "Whats that babys name?" If you say that you don't know, she'll say, "We should name him." Regardless of what you suggest as a name, she'll usually have a different response. The funny part is that she doesn't understand the distinction between proper names and names of everyday items. So she'll suggest that we name a dog "Tree " or a baby "Refrigerator". (Which appears to have worked for a former Chicago Bears linebacker... but I digress.)
So we asked her what she wants to name her upcoming little brother or sister. Since she was playing with landscaping stones at the time, she suggested, "Rock". Which I have no problem with, being a fan of the Stallone movies. (What? You thought I was going to referrence the wrestler? If you smelllllll...what The Rock is cooking!!!) Nicole is less enthused about the name, but still conceeds its better than some of the names I've suggested.
Another fun example came on Sunday. Nicole was finishing our taxes and wanted us out of the house so that she could concentrate. I took Haley to breakfast. Her kids menu had a connect-the dots puzzle that we did together. (I try to get her to count for me as I draw the lines.) It turned out to be a picture of a cyclops. (Yeah, I made a comment about that too. Lots of 2-year-olds are familiar with Homer's Odyssey, I guess.) Haley pointed to the one-eyed monster and asked her favorite question of late, "Whats his name?" I responded, "Well, he's a cyclops... so lets call him 'Clops'." My creative little girl had a better idea: "No... lets call him...'Wink'. Cuz it looks like he is winking. Like this!" (She contorts her face into a weird grimace-like wink.) "See?"
Can't argue with that logic... especially after seeing the painfully funny "demonstration" of what she thinks a wink looks like.
So we asked her what she wants to name her upcoming little brother or sister. Since she was playing with landscaping stones at the time, she suggested, "Rock". Which I have no problem with, being a fan of the Stallone movies. (What? You thought I was going to referrence the wrestler? If you smelllllll...what The Rock is cooking!!!) Nicole is less enthused about the name, but still conceeds its better than some of the names I've suggested.
Another fun example came on Sunday. Nicole was finishing our taxes and wanted us out of the house so that she could concentrate. I took Haley to breakfast. Her kids menu had a connect-the dots puzzle that we did together. (I try to get her to count for me as I draw the lines.) It turned out to be a picture of a cyclops. (Yeah, I made a comment about that too. Lots of 2-year-olds are familiar with Homer's Odyssey, I guess.) Haley pointed to the one-eyed monster and asked her favorite question of late, "Whats his name?" I responded, "Well, he's a cyclops... so lets call him 'Clops'." My creative little girl had a better idea: "No... lets call him...'Wink'. Cuz it looks like he is winking. Like this!" (She contorts her face into a weird grimace-like wink.) "See?"
Can't argue with that logic... especially after seeing the painfully funny "demonstration" of what she thinks a wink looks like.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home