Botany 101
I honestly don't think there is anything better than viewing the world through a child's eyes. A few weeks ago, Nicole was tired and not feeling well as a result of morning sickness. (Why do they call it that? Nicole is sick all day, not just in the morning.) Wanting to do something different with Haley, I asked her if whe wanted to grow a flower. I explained the process to her (the seeds, dirt, water, etc) and she got very excited about it.
We went to a nearby plant nursery and I let her pick out the seed packets she wanted. I explained that the picture on the packet was what the flower would look like when it grew. She made her choices and we went to the register. Being the thoughtful child she is, she wanted to surprise mommy with some flowers too, so she picked out a small pot of yellow and purple flowers that had already bloomed.
We came home and gave Nicole her flowers. She was feeling better (and has more of a green thumb than I do) so she helped Haley fill some small pots with dirt and planted the seeds.
Yesterday I had to work late, so I got home long after Haley had gone to bed. But I noticed that tiny green shoots had appeared in her flower pots. I mentioned this to Nicole. Haley had noticed them before she went to bed and had excitedly told Nicole about how these were going to turn into flowers! (Whaddaya know... she was paying attention.) She also excitedly told Nicole how much she wanted to show the new plants to daddy.
Is it weird that something so simple as a $0.99 pack of seeds can make me feel like the luckiest man on the planet?
We went to a nearby plant nursery and I let her pick out the seed packets she wanted. I explained that the picture on the packet was what the flower would look like when it grew. She made her choices and we went to the register. Being the thoughtful child she is, she wanted to surprise mommy with some flowers too, so she picked out a small pot of yellow and purple flowers that had already bloomed.
We came home and gave Nicole her flowers. She was feeling better (and has more of a green thumb than I do) so she helped Haley fill some small pots with dirt and planted the seeds.
Yesterday I had to work late, so I got home long after Haley had gone to bed. But I noticed that tiny green shoots had appeared in her flower pots. I mentioned this to Nicole. Haley had noticed them before she went to bed and had excitedly told Nicole about how these were going to turn into flowers! (Whaddaya know... she was paying attention.) She also excitedly told Nicole how much she wanted to show the new plants to daddy.
Is it weird that something so simple as a $0.99 pack of seeds can make me feel like the luckiest man on the planet?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home