First Day of K!
Haley has officially started school! She is now entering her second week and LOVES it! Her first official day was more of an introduction. We drove her to school and walked her to her class to meet her teacher, Mrs. Nesbit. The school did a “staggered start” where they had the kids come in smaller groups for the first few days, so only 7 of her classmates were there. In a prime example of why I love living in our somewhat small community, Haley already knew 6 of the other kids from preschool and the neighborhood. The first day was also only a half-day.Her next school day was the first day riding to school on the bus! Haley carefully packed her backpack with the important essentials. That is to say, she brought her stuffed toy unicorn with her that she takes everywhere. I was again surprised at the number of neighborhood kids that were getting on the bus. Haley was so excited to climb aboard and sit with her friends that she almost forgot to kiss us goodbye. Nicole waited until the bus was out of sight before tearing up. Then she jumped in the car to follow the bus and make sure that it made it the half-mile to the school safely. Haley had another great day at school. Once again it was a small partial class, and was only a half-day. Nicole picked Haley up at the end.
The next school day was the big one. This time, Haley would be riding the bus to school, it was the full class, she would be having lunch in the cafeteria, then she would be doing the remainder of the day in Kinder-Care, before riding the bus back home!
We once again saw her off at the bus stop. The rest of the day, you’ll have to ask her about to get the full story. Here’s what I can remember of what she told us:
“I got on the bus and sat with Bree! We played with Unicorn all the way to school. Then we got to play outside until the bell rang and Mrs. Nesbit came outside to get us. We had to all get in a line. And we have to follow rules whenever we’re in line. We have to use ‘Walking Feet’ and our ‘Inside Voice’, and we have to keep our arms glued to our sides or hold on to our shoulders. Then we go to class sing the Good Morning Song. (She sang a bit for us.) Then we sit on the floor for ‘Calendar Time’. I followed Mrs. Nesbit’s finger to the top of the calendar to see that it was Thursday. Then we had ‘Weather Time’. Then we had Gym. Then it was Snack Time, and I had crackers and juice. Then it was ‘Free Play’, and I got to play in the playhouse. Then we sing the Goodbye Song. (Again, she sang some for us.) Then I went to the cafeteria for lunch. I had to sit where my name was, and I didn’t like that because I had to sit between two boys. Then I got to go to K-Care and do an art project! Then we got in line again and I got back on the bus. I sat with Bree again and Mommy was waiting for me when I got off.”
There you have it.
As a final aside, Haley was very excited about picking out her lunchbox to take to school. What character would adorn her juicebox and pb&j carrier? Barbie? No. Disney’s Princesses? Nope. The final decision was Supergirl! I can’t think of a more appropriate symbol for the first week of school.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home