This Is Sportscenter
Haley is starting to devlop an appreciation for sports. Shes always liked basketball, thanks to the toy hoop she has. But she has expanded her tastes to include a few other games.
Baseball
A few months ago, when Uncle Scott and Aunt Pamela were visiting, I was showing Scott a new MLB video game I got for the Xbox. Haley came downstairs to see where her daddy went, and seemed to really get into the game. She cheered when I got a homerun, and even was goaded into saying "Its outta there!" It helps that one of her favorite songs is "Take Me Out To The Ballgame". I didn't manage to take her to a Rockies game this season, but I have a feeling when we do go to one she is really going to enjoy the 7th Inning Stretch.
Football
We also have our own rudimentary version of football. Essentially, I give her the football (or any other ball for that matter) and she runs with it while I chase her. If I catch her (and believe me, its becoming more of an "if" with each passing day), I "tackle" her, which is basically picking her up off the ground and giving her tummy-kisses. Then I take the ball and she has to chase me.
I've also tried to explain real football to her in the simplist of terms. I was watching this past Sunday's Broncos game when she crawled into my lap to join me. I explained that the guys in blue were trying to keep the ball away from the guys in white. She grasped this enough to watch the game with me for a while. Then Jake Plummer threw an interception. I explained that the one "blue guy" was throwing the ball to the other "blue guy", but the "white guy" stole it from him. When Nicole entered the room, Haley was anxious to share her new knowledge. "Mommy! White guy stole a ball from blue guy and udder blue guy!" Ah well... something like that.
Soccer
Haley also loves to play "kick", where we kick the ball back and forth to each other. Surprisingly, she seems to have a knack for this. While her throws are usually pretty wild and inaccurate, when she kicks the ball it usually comes right to me. Not too shabby for a two-year-old.
I don't care what sport she eventually picks, I just want her to get out and do more than her lazy father did when he was a kid. :)
Baseball
A few months ago, when Uncle Scott and Aunt Pamela were visiting, I was showing Scott a new MLB video game I got for the Xbox. Haley came downstairs to see where her daddy went, and seemed to really get into the game. She cheered when I got a homerun, and even was goaded into saying "Its outta there!" It helps that one of her favorite songs is "Take Me Out To The Ballgame". I didn't manage to take her to a Rockies game this season, but I have a feeling when we do go to one she is really going to enjoy the 7th Inning Stretch.
Football
We also have our own rudimentary version of football. Essentially, I give her the football (or any other ball for that matter) and she runs with it while I chase her. If I catch her (and believe me, its becoming more of an "if" with each passing day), I "tackle" her, which is basically picking her up off the ground and giving her tummy-kisses. Then I take the ball and she has to chase me.
I've also tried to explain real football to her in the simplist of terms. I was watching this past Sunday's Broncos game when she crawled into my lap to join me. I explained that the guys in blue were trying to keep the ball away from the guys in white. She grasped this enough to watch the game with me for a while. Then Jake Plummer threw an interception. I explained that the one "blue guy" was throwing the ball to the other "blue guy", but the "white guy" stole it from him. When Nicole entered the room, Haley was anxious to share her new knowledge. "Mommy! White guy stole a ball from blue guy and udder blue guy!" Ah well... something like that.
Soccer
Haley also loves to play "kick", where we kick the ball back and forth to each other. Surprisingly, she seems to have a knack for this. While her throws are usually pretty wild and inaccurate, when she kicks the ball it usually comes right to me. Not too shabby for a two-year-old.
I don't care what sport she eventually picks, I just want her to get out and do more than her lazy father did when he was a kid. :)

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home